Monday, June 24, 2013

Potomac Heritage Trail

Today Casey, Maxwell, and I decided to embark on the Potomac Heritage Trail.  We started from the entrance point at the end of Live Oak Drive in McLean and hiked ten miles down to the parking area at Roosevelt Island.  It's an interesting little hike to say the least.  Nestled between the highway and the Potomac River, it provided a relatively constant hum of traffic, but also afforded some beautiful views of the river.  At times, I was tempted to jump in despite the plethora of "No Swimming" signs posted at the sweetest looking spots.  I restrained myself and continued my sweaty slog alongside the river instead.  This was probably just as well, because apparently just today a teenage boy was lost in the river.  We heard some helicopters overhead as we were hiking, but it wasn't until I sat down in front of the TV tonight, that I heard the news story.  It appears that the "search and rescue" is now being deemed a "search and recovery," which is quite unfortunate.  My thoughts are with that boy.  It's amazing what water can hide from you.  On the surface, that river looks as inviting in parts as any I've seen.

Despite roughly 11 miles of hiking (we meandered out of the way a few times, adding to the ten mile itinerary), we all made it to Roosevelt Island, where we had placed a second car.  I suppose walking alongside a river has its merits, because the elevation changes were relatively few and the uphill areas did seem to be roughly matched by the downs, despite this being a one-way hike.  Don't get me wrong - there were times that I was huffing and puffing and the 90 degree weather and the encompassing humidity didn't help - but all in all, not a bad trek.  There were toads aplenty and we even saw a deer, several skinks, a couple of great blue herons, and a few chipmunks.


I finished the trail in good spirits, which quickly soured as we began our return trip via car.  We drove together back to our starting point, where I was able to pick up my car.  All was good and well, except that I have roughly zero directional sense and apparently a lackluster memory to boot, so getting back was a struggle.  I plugged Casey's address into my GPS, but we were hoping to get back onto the GW parkway and return in a reasonable 45 minutes.  Instead, the 45 minute journey turned into an hour and twenty minutes of traffic lights and irritable NoVA drivers.  I wasn't in the best of moods by the time I made it home, but when Casey arrived a few minutes later in his car with a milkshake, I couldn't help but smile (isn't he great!?).  Conclusion?  Milkshakes are good, hikes are uplifting, my boyfriend is the best, and I am never, ever, ever, driving in Northern Alexandria ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment