Thursday, June 6, 2013

Harkening Hill - Peaks of Otter

We finally completed the last of the Peaks of Otter Trio!  Don't get me wrong - these hikes only total about 12 miles when combined, but we did each on a separate occasion and yesterday just happened to be the time to do Harkening Hill.  It wasn't as impressive as either Flat Top or Sharp Top, but the trail was nice, interesting, and did pass by some pretty views (albeit nothing near the magnitude of either of the aforementioned hikes).  Although the views weren't quite up to snuff with the other two peaks, I think I actually enjoyed the trail more.  It appears that nobody has been out to care for the trail since the dawn of Spring, because the trail is now merely a one man wide path that is extremely overgrown at parts.  I have started to run.  Jog might be a more appropriate word.  But none-the-less, in an effort to prepare myself for a million killer hikes on the planned trip out west at the end of this summer, I bought myself a spiffy pair of neon orange (the last color left...) running shoes and have started to jog.  Is it making a difference as I hike?  As of now, it's hard to tell. 

Fortunately, no bushwhacking was required, but I'm thankful there didn't seem to be many ticks out because it would have been easy to become covered with how much we were rubbing through the brush.  Either way, it was fun to make our way through the greenery and for the first time on a hike in ju

st about ever (that I recall) I didn't have to stop to huff and puff even once.  This probably had more to do with the fact that I wasn't carrying anything on my back and that the hike itself is pretty easy than it did with my improved fitness, but I should say that I've started running!  Yes - it's true. 

Regardless, this little hike brought a good time with surprisingly cool weather.  It's nearly impossible to get lost (and I can attest well to this I think, seeing as I manage to get lost at every chance that awaits me) provided that you get on the trail next to the "Harkening Hill" map behind the visitor center.  Overall, it was a good little hike and would probably be a great one to bring kids along.

No comments:

Post a Comment