Friday, January 8, 2021

Lake Drummond

 Ooph.  I have not been managing this blog well lately.  I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot at the end of the summer and thus commenced an extended hiatus from hiking.  Of course, with the pandemic in our midst, getting outside had been one of my primary sources of sanity to ride out the storm.  With the foot in a fracture boot, I took to kayaking in the late summer and into the fall as a safe way to get outside and stay off of my foot.  This is an overdue post, but I figured I'd share our trip to Lake Drummond.

If you're looking for a beginner friendly, kayak camping trip, look no farther.  With the luxuries of car camping (i.e. picnic tables, flush toilets, and a roofed/screened in pavilion) and the solitude of backpacking, this was a pretty neat experience.  It was ~ a 3.5 mile paddle each way from the boat ramp to the campsite and then another half mile paddle to the lake, so it wasn't anything too strenuous.  And, with only one turn and virtually no current, it's easy to navigate and paddle.  I'd absolutely go back!


Almost at the lake

Looking at the entrance to the lake just before sunset

Reflection on the still water


Having such a vast swath of water seemingly all to ourselves was surreal




More cypress reflections





Enjoying some Dairy Queen from the drive through window post trip (and she didn't even paddle!)


No comments:

Post a Comment