Sunday, June 17, 2018

Beehive Trail, Maine

This might just have been the most terrifying hike of my life.  At only 2 miles, it was "easy" in terms of the cardiac workout provided.  And yet, I thought I might have a heart attack.  The sign at the bottom encouraged would-be-hikers to consider whether they had a fear of heights, and if so, to perhaps consider an alternative route. 

"Pshaw," I thought.  "I'll be fine.  I'm not that afraid of heights."

Cue about .6 miles later when I was clinging to the side of a cliff face, physically shaking, and weighing my options for escape from the cliff.  A helicopter wouldn't be able to get me there, I reasoned.  And going down sounded far worse than going up.  So up I climbed.  Cursing and trembling, and gripping the iron bars with white knuckles, but climbing none-the-less.  This torture only lasted for .2 miles or so, thank the lord.  And fortunately, the top was a very pretty sight.

I think if you asked Casey, he would tell you it was an amazing hike.  Me?  Apparently I do have a fear of heights.  I may not be returning to hike the Precipice.

That trail is about 18 inches - 24 inches wide.  And this was the non-scary part.  But the views!








2 comments:

  1. Oh this is awesome. Sounds exactly like my experience on Precipice trail last summer. Started as not afraid of heights and ended with definitely being afraid of heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that was my experience! I have heard that Precipice is even more fear-inducing because it involves a longer cliffside climb than Beehive. Precipice Trail was closed for nesting season when we were there, thus our excursion to the Beehive Trail instead.

      Delete