Monday, July 6, 2015

Great Falls - Virginia

I am a bit behind on posting my hikes, but on June 13th, Casey, Kevin and I decided to hike the Billy Goat Trail section A.  I have done this hike numerous times before - albeit not in a few years - but with Casey as the driver and I as the co-pilot, it is easy to see how we ended up in the wrong spot.  When we arrived at the entrance to the park, it didn't look like my usual parking spot, but I assumed that we were merely in the legal parking zone.  Unlike where I typically park, this lot involved driving past a ranger station and paying an entrance fee (which was waived thanks to Casey's NPS volunteer pass).  Nevertheless, we parked and set to scanning the map which we had received at the entrance station.  When we couldn't find the Billy Goat trail on the map, Casey took himself back to the station to ask the ranger for some assistance.  According to the ranger, we were a hop, skip, and jump across the river from our intended destination.  With no bridges or boats to speak of, daylight slowly dying, and self preservation in mind, we opted to find some new trails on the Virginia side of the river.  While not quite as exciting as the rock scrambles on the Billy Goat, the trail proved to be a worthwhile expenditure of our time.  Plus, I saw a cool snake!

Casey and Kevin at the falls overlook

Baby snake near a launch
The falls in focus



No comments:

Post a Comment