Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Cascades

Semi-frozen Cascades
    The waterfall wasn't entirely frozen, but it was still a pretty incredible sight.  The Cascades is a fantastic w
aterfall and a 'must-do' for any Virginia Tech student.  As such, it was no surprise that even on this blistery day, it was quite crowded.  Fortunately, where there could have been ice, there was snow instead.  This meant that no wipeouts ensued while traversing the trail.  I've done this hike once before in the winter when the path was covered in a thick sheet of ice.  On that occasion, the views were comparable to those that we saw today, but the going was much slower.  Last time, I experienced a multi-person pileup, when my friend lost his footing while climbing up a set of ice-coated rock stairs and took the rest of us out on his way down.  This time we had no such excitement.  Regardless, it was a picture perfect day.
   My apologies for the photo quality yet again.  I brought my small camera again this time, only to find that I had left my memory card in my laptop.  I took these on Casey's cell phone, and although they turned out surprisingly 'okay,' they're still a far step down from the quality from a real camera.
Casey and I at the semi-frozen falls

An icy creek

Casey and Matt at the falls



No comments:

Post a Comment