Saturday, November 23, 2013

Old Hotel Trail/Cole Mountain Loop

   I never cease to be amazed at the views that Virginia has to offer.  Casey, Boo, and I did this little hike on our way home from school for Thanksgiving break.  I was a little hesitant as to whether my 9 year old dog would be able to handle the 6.4 mile loop, but I needn't have worried.  She did wonderfully.  It was a Friday in November, chilly and a bit bleak, so there were few others out with us.  We drove the bumpy several miles up a tiny gravel road before parking ourselves at the trail head.  With no other humans in sight and no vehicles parked in the same lot, I decided to let the dog explore a bit.  Boo has a tendency to chase all that runs and so I worry about her making a mad dash into a road after a deer, but with no well traveled roads in a several mile vicinity, I decided that it would be okay to give her a bit of freedom.  She took to the trail immediately and we all had a great time.
Boo explores the meadow at the top of the mountain

Boo and I enjoy the views

   We followed the "Hotel Trail" (AKA "Old Hotel Trail") for several miles until it intersected with the AT at which point, we continued on along the AT northbound towards the ridge.  I knew that I should be expecting a bald mountaintop, but as often seems to happen, the magnificence of the peak surprised me.  The meadow was vast and the views, even on a dreary day, were picture perfect.  And interestingly, some way, somehow, someone apparently manages to bring a mower up to the top of the this mountain, because the meadow was mowed just short enough to wander freely across it.  We continued Northbound on the AT until eventually it intersected with the road that we had driven up, at which point we walked the remaining .2 miles back to the car along the gravel road.  A great time was had by all.

near a campground along the way up

climbing toward the ridge

Casey and Boo at an overlook shortly before reaching the bald summit


No comments:

Post a Comment