Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Joshua Tree National Park

And so begins my attempt to quickly summarize what very well could have been some of the best hiking (and one of the best overall experiences) of my life.  I say 'quickly' because I'm really just not in a writing mood, but I want to make sure I place these experiences on paper...(or screen?). Without this little bit of effort today, I worry that they might become lost in some dusty corner of my brain along with the location of my favorite flip flops, the recipe for my grandma's peach and blueberry pie, and the names of most everyone that I just met on this very fine last first day as an undergraduate student.

Not that I would ever be able to begin to do justice to any of these phenomenal locations in text, but I feel even more pained sticking them all together into one lonely little rarely read blog post.  That said, I feel even more pained at the thought of sitting here writing.  Instead, I intend to do a bit of a photo montage.

Ryan Mountain - Joshua Tree National Park

This was far from one of my favorite hikes in the world as it was a pretty bleak uphill climb for 1.4 miles to provide views in every direction of exactly what you might have seen from ground level.  That said, there is something humbling about standing atop a giant mound of dirt and seeing nothing but dirt as far as the eye could see.  The desert is a pretty incredible place.

Me and Casey on the hike up

Casey ponders the desert

Some desert views

a single Joshua tree near the top



Although the hike up Ryan Mountain was far from a favorite of mine, we did have a lot of fun bouldering around on some of the large rock formations in the area.

Random Rocks - Joshua Tree National Park





No comments:

Post a Comment