Monday, April 15, 2013

Read Mountain

Casey, Kevin, and I decided to do this little hike on a whim during our return trip from Smith Mountain Lake to Blacksburg.  I was convinced for a bit that we were lost as we zigzagged through a neighborhood of McMansions all placed neatly side by side on a little paved road with little manicured lawns.  Not your typical trailhead destination.  Low-and-behold, the trailhead was there, up a neat little labeled drive situated neatly between two of the aforementioned McMansions.  It made me smile.

Overall, Read Mountain was the perfect mid-roadtrip hike, as it wasn't too tiring, but provided a nice chance to stretch our legs and get outside.  Of course, me being me, I was still breathing quite heavily as I climbed the steady ascent to the overlook.  This time, I'm blaming it on a cold that is hanging onto life like no other.  We saw a few families with children at the overlook which leads me to believe it's a popular destination for the neighborhood families.  Overall, it was a nice experience on the most gorgeous day of the year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment